September 2013 – July 2023
Suncoast Nursing Action Coalition
The Suncoast Nursing Action Coalition (SNAC) was a regional coalition made up of representatives from major healthcare organizations, schools educating nurses, and community members in Florida’s Charlotte, DeSoto, Manatee, and Sarasota counties to positively influence the health and healthcare outcomes in the nation. The grassroots group worked with the Nursing Action Coalition of Florida. It implemented changes recommended by the 2010 Institute of Medicine report entitled The Future of Nursing: Leading Change, Advancing Health while addressing the 2020 recommendations from Population Health and the Future of Nursing.
Strengthening the Impact
Why did The Patterson Foundation support this initiative?
The Patterson Foundation strengthens the efforts of people, organizations, and communities. TPF learned of the opportunity to support beneficial change in health care by cultivating an environment for the success of this coalition. The Patterson Foundation provided an initiative consultant who acted as a facilitator with skills in collaboration processes and provided strategic and tactical expertise to ensure a quality process.
How did the Suncoast Nursing Action Coalition start?
SNAC was a pilot project of Florida Action Coalition (which is now the Nursing Action Coalition of Florida) to address the recommendations of the 2010 Institute of Medicine report, The Future of Nursing: Leading Change, Advancing Health, to address the education recommendations of the report. The Institute of Medicine education recommendations included:
- Increase the proportion of nurses with a baccalaureate degree to 80% by 2020
- Double the number of nurses with a doctorate by 2020
- Implement nurse residency programs
- Ensure that nurses engage in lifelong learning
Who were the primary participants in the Coalition?
SNAC developed an effective triad model that engaged healthcare organizations, educational institutions with nursing programs in the region, and community members.
What is the impact of SNAC’s work?
- Expanded the regional educational system's capacity for advanced nursing education, including helping seven accredited universities develop and begin offering BSN programs or new educational pathways. With this growth, more nurses are completing bachelor's or more advanced degrees in their hometown rather than transferring to other communities.
- Developed resources and toolkits for hospitals and nurse employers to encourage nurses to complete bachelor's and more advanced academic degrees.
- Created a strong and diverse network of nursing professionals and allies to mentor and inspire the next generation of nurses and leaders.
- Cultivated community partnerships to raise $750,000 in scholarship funding for aspiring nursing students and nursing educators in our region. The Community Foundation of Sarasota County and the Manatee Community Foundation continue to administer and support this scholarship program.
- Advocate for local, state, and national initiatives to enhance and promote the nursing profession. Through the Nursing Action Coalition of Florida, SNAC's volunteers remain active at the state and national levels, supporting education and initiatives that promote health equity and improve outcomes through nursing and interdisciplinary collaboration.
Who can I contact about the Suncoast Nursing Action Coalition initiative?
For more information about this closed initiative, contact Roxanne Joffe, The Patterson Foundation’s lead strategic communications consultant at MagnifyGood: firstname.lastname@example.org.