September 2013 – Present
Suncoast Nursing Action Coalition
The Suncoast Nursing Action Coalition (SNAC) is a regional coalition made up of representatives from major healthcare organizations, schools educating nurses, and community members in Florida’s Charlotte, DeSoto, Manatee, and Sarasota counties to positively influence the health and healthcare outcomes in the nation. The grassroots group is working with the Nursing Action Coalition of Florida. It is implementing changes recommended by the 2010 Institute of Medicine report entitled The Future of Nursing: Leading Change, Advancing Health and continues to address the 2020 recommendations from Population Health and the Future of Nursing.
Strengthening the Impact
The Patterson Foundation is committed to strengthening the collaboration and impact of the Suncoast Nursing Action Coalition by helping to cultivate an environment for success. This includes providing facilitation, knowledge, and strategic and tactical expertise from an initiative consultant to help the vision of this national movement become a reality in our region. A more highly educated nursing workforce improves patient outcomes, infection rates, and mortality rates.
Click on frequently asked questions below to learn more about this initiative...
Why does The Patterson Foundation support this initiative?
The Patterson Foundation learned of the opportunity to support beneficial change in health care by cultivating the environment for the success of this coalition. The initiative consultant acts as a facilitator with skills in collaboration processes. The Patterson Foundation provides strategic and tactical expertise to ensure a quality process.
How did the Suncoast Nursing Action Coalition start?
SNAC was a pilot project of Florida Action Coalition (which is now the Nursing Action Coalition of Florida) to address the recommendations of the 2010 Institute of Medicine report, The Future of Nursing: Leading Change, Advancing Health, to address the education recommendations of the report. The Institute of Medicine education recommendations included: Increase the proportion of nurses with a baccalaureate degree to 80% by 2020 Double the number of nurses with a doctorate by 2020 Implement nurse residency programs Ensure that nurses engage in lifelong learning The Community Foundation of Sarasota County is SNAC’s fiscal sponsor providing vital administrative, fiscal, scholarship, and donor relations support.
Who are the primary participants in the Coalition?
SNAC developed an effective triad model that engages healthcare organizations, educational institutions with nursing programs in the region, and community members.
What are SNAC’s goals?
- Advocate for the educational system’s capacity to increase the number of nurses with BSN or graduate nursing degrees in the region to address the nursing shortage
- Increase individuals engaged in academic progression in nursing to BSN or higher
- Increase community awareness of the need for nurses and their academic progression
- Increase funding to support SNAC’S goals
- Strategically and operationally strengthen SNAC’s infrastructure to ensure SNAC achieves its mission
- Support Nursing Action Coalition of Florida (NACF) and address selected NACF goals and objectives for our region
What are the Coalition’s accomplishments so far?
- SNAC engaged and inspired passionate commitment of SNAC members
- Increased BSN educational capacity within the region by engaging hospitals and nursing schools
- Created a Nurse Education Navigator (NEN) and expanded SNAC’s reach to address the nursing shortage and education pathways
- Developed a successful scholarship program that has awarded over half a million dollars to date
- Developed a community advocacy program to educate the community and legislators on current and future nursing issues
- SNAC has been a key supporter of NACF (Nursing Action Coalition Florida)
What does the Coalition aspire to achieve?
- Continue growth in an educational capacity to address the nursing shortage
- Expand NEN reach to middle school and high school students and a greater diversity of students
- Expand SNAC’s capacity to follow scholarship recipients’ success
- Continue to engage SNAC membership to ensure the success and growth of SNAC
- Explore scholarship expansion to include all educational pathways for nursing
- Continue expansion of community advocacy programs
- Continue partnership support and development of NACF and other national initiatives
How can I get involved with the Suncoast Nursing Action Coalition initiative?
SNAC is interested in connecting with individuals in the area. Contact initiative consultant Deborah Gauvreau: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Who can I contact about the Suncoast Nursing Action Coalition initiative?
For more information, contact initiative consultant Deborah Gauvreau: email@example.com.
Latest From Twitter
Have you spoken with our SNAC Nurse Education Navigator? There is no better time than NOW to get started on your Ba… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
Happy Nurses Week from SNAC! Thank you to all the exceptional nurses out there! We recognize your passion, dedicati… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
📌 Coming up this month - Virtual Graduate College of Nursing Degree Info Sessions at Nova Southeastern University:… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…