January 2010 – 2024
Patriot Plaza's 10th Anniversary
Strengthening the Impact
PATRIOT PLAZA’S 10TH ANNIVERSARY
The Patterson Foundation will celebrate the 10th anniversary of Patriot Plaza's 2014 dedication with a free special event. For a decade, the Plaza has been a cornerstone in The Patterson Foundation's legacy initiatives, attracting visitors with its grand architecture, symbolic artwork, and compelling documentary photography. This landmark continues to be a beacon of The Patterson Foundation's early and generous support.
The artwork invites visitors to observe, through various mediums of commissioned art—bronze, mosaic, and photography—our nation’s struggles and victories dating from the 1860s American Civil War through Desert Storm.
The Plaza’s amphitheater provides shade and a respectful, peaceful space to reflect on the artwork and think quietly about the service and sacrifice of protecting our nation’s freedom. Register here to join The Patterson Foundation in celebrating Patriot Plaza’s 10th Anniversary on Saturday, March 2, 2024, at Sarasota National Cemetery. The Prelude begins at 10:30. The Celebration is from 10:45 to 11:45 a.m.
Volunteers and directional signs will guide guests to parking spaces. Grass parking is prohibited at Sarasota National Cemetery. Please plan to arrive early and carpool if convenient.
Why does The Patterson Foundation support the Patriot Plaza initiative?
When was the dedication of Patriot Plaza?
When is Patriot Plaza's 10th Anniversary Celebration?
This free celebration will feature:
- The Ditchfield Family Singers and patriotic sing-a-longs
- Keynote thoughts from COL Linda Gould, US Army (Retired)
- Impact quotes shared by Maverick Johnson, CTQ host of Maverick and Lulu in the Morning
- The Mighty Sarasota Military Academy Drumline
Parking volunteers and directional signs will guide guests to parking spaces. Grass parking is prohibited at Sarasota National Cemetery. Please plan to arrive early and carpool if convenient.
How was the National Cemetery Administration involved in the Patriot Plaza initiative?
What is the impact of The Patterson Foundation’s donation of Patriot Plaza?
- Ceremonial Amphitheater — Patriot Plaza is a tangible outcome for our community that has never before had a space dedicated to ceremonies and events honoring veterans and their families. It is a place for the community to take pride in and use for generations to come.
- Partnership Model — The Patterson Foundation is sharing its public-private partnership model with other communities nationwide. The lessons learned from this project will hopefully help others navigate similar philanthropic partnerships.
- Economic Impact — Labor and materials associated with Patriot Plaza had more than a $3 million economic impact on our region.
- Commissioned Art — More than $2 million in art installations at Patriot Plaza provide our region with ways to experience the challenges and sacrifices of military service. In addition, The Patterson Foundation led the development of a program to train Patriot Plaza Guides to give tours in partnership with the Arts and Cultural Alliance of Sarasota County.
- Education — Patriot Plaza is among the explorations listed on EdExploreSRQ.com, an online tool tying community experiential learning opportunities with state and national education standards. The Patterson Foundation created EdExploreSRQ in partnership with Sarasota County Schools.
- Tourist Attraction — Patriot Plaza is one of Sarasota’s must-see destinations.
Who can I contact about the Patriot Plaza initiative?
For inquiries, contact initiative consultant Victoria Finley: VFinleyTPF@gmail.com.
How do I schedule an event at Patriot Plaza?
How do I tour Patriot Plaza?
Patriot Plaza is open daily from sunrise to sunset. Admission is free. Weekly tours of Patriot Plaza take place on Tuesdays at 10 a.m. except for federal holidays. Participants should meet at the east entrance of Patriot Plaza near the bronze sculpture “Home,“ which depicts nesting eagles.
To schedule a group or school tour, please contact the Patriot Plaza Tour Coordinator at the Arts and Cultural Alliance of Sarasota County: firstname.lastname@example.org or call 941-365-5118 x305.
Teachers and Home-Schoolers can learn more about school trips, including curricular materials and lesson plans by visiting the Patriot Plaza EdExplorations listed on EdExploreSRQ.com. These field trips are focused on Grades 4-12. The Patterson Foundation funds transportation to Patriot Plaza for all schools in Charlotte, Desoto, Manatee, and Sarasota counties.
What are the features of Patriot Plaza?
Who was on the team that designed, constructed, and donated Patriot Plaza?
The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, along with The Patterson Foundation, its volunteer construction and art advisory groups, and paid architecture, design, art, and legal professionals poured over countless hours of concepts and details to ensure Patriot Plaza’s excellence. The Patterson Foundation donated the facility to the National Cemetery Administration and has endowed its upkeep for future generations.The Patterson Foundation Construction Team
- Debra Jacobs, The Patterson Foundation – President and CEO
- Sandy Beckley, The Patterson Foundation – Initiative Consultant
- Art Bryant, Development Logistics Group – Owner’s Representative
- Gary Hoyt, Hoyt Architects – Design Architect
- Ann Wykell, Social Sector Solutions – Art Consultant
- David E. Sessions, Willis Smith Construction – Construction Manager
- Construction Advisory Group of industry experts
- Billy Springer
- Cliff Truitt
- John Peshkin
- Shawn McIntyre
- Art Advisory Group of industry experts
- Kenny Irby
- Robin Nigh
- Mark Ormond
What artwork is featured at Patriot Plaza?
- “Testimonies” by Larry Kirkland
- “Witness to Mission” by Larry Kirkland and Kenny Irby
- “Home” by Ann Hirsch
- “Guardian Eagles” by Pablo Eduardo
- “Night to Day, Here and Away” by Ellen Driscoll
- “Star Map” fabricated by Creative Edge Master Shop
See photos and learn about these six art installations and the artists.
With a goal to preserve memory through art, the installations honor the men and women who serve and their families, while communicating their stories to future generations.
Who can I contact about the Patriot Plaza amphitheater?
For national inquiries, contact senior consultant Michael Corley: email@example.com.
For local inquiries, contact Patriot Plaza initiative lead Linda Gould: firstname.lastname@example.org.