March 2013 – November 2014
Legacy of Valor
Over several generations, members of the Patterson family served their country with distinction. The Legacy of Valor campaign honored them and all of our nation’s veterans and their families, as community partners and participants generated excitement leading up to the dedication of Patriot Plaza at Sarasota National Cemetery in Florida.
Strengthening the Impact
Why did The Patterson Foundation support this initiative?
To honor the Patterson family’s history of military service and the service and sacrifice of all of our nation’s veterans, The Patterson Foundation created the Legacy of Valor campaign to strengthen how our community honors veterans, inspires patriotism, and embraces freedom leading up to the dedication of Patriot Plaza at Sarasota National Cemetery.
What organizations did The Patterson Foundation partner with during the Legacy of Valor campaign?
The Patterson Foundation collaborated with more than 100 community organizations to facilitate events and outreach honoring veterans and their families. Partners included:
- ArtCenter Manatee
- Baltimore Orioles
- Bradenton Marauders
- CareerSource Suncoast
- Florida Maritime Museum
- Florida Studio Theatre
- Friendship Centers
- Goodwill Manasota
- Jacobites Pipe Band
- Junior League of Sarasota
- La Musica
- Manatee County Agricultural Museum
- Military Officers Association of America – Sarasota Chapter
- New Balance Sarasota
- North Port Art Center
- North Port Concert Band
- Palmetto Historical Park
- Realize Bradenton
- Sarasota Chalk Festival
- Sarasota County Schools
- Sarasota Farmers Market
- Sarasota Film Festival
- Sarasota Herald-Tribune
- Sarasota Military Academy
- Sarasota National Cemetery
- Sarasota National Cemetery Advisory Committee
- South Florida Museum
- The First Brass Ensemble
- The Circus Arts Conservatory
- The Hermitage Artist Retreat
- The North Port Chorale
- The Ringling
- The Venice Chorale
- The Venice Concert Band
- Thunder by the Bay (Suncoast Charities for Children)
- Van Wezel Performing Arts Hall
- Venice Museum and Archives
- Village of the Arts
- Visible Men Academy
- Wreaths Across America Sarasota
- WSRZ 107.9
- WWSB MySuncoast
What is the impact of the Legacy of Valor campaign?
There were many accomplishments during the Legacy of Valor campaign. Through this effort, The Patterson Foundation has generated lasting impact through the application of partnerships and effective communications resources. Here are the highlights:
- Formed more than 100 collaborative partnerships — from existing to brand-new relationships
- Developed more than 200 community events and activities honoring veterans
- Generated more than 475,000 "touches" resulting from community interaction at the events
- Raised more than $272,000 benefiting veterans’ programs at nonprofits that partnered with the campaign
- Inspired local events with a veteran or patriotic theme beyond the campaign
- Provided veterans the opportunity to share their stories
- Enhanced operational capacity for the nonprofit community through on-demand consulting and training workshops
- Fostered collaborative partnering among nonprofits
- Heightened awareness of veterans and their families
- Generated media campaigns around veterans
- Received national recognition from and inclusion in initiatives like the Philanthropy-Joining Forces Impact Pledge and the National Philanthropy Caucus in Washington, D.C.
What is Freedom. Pass It On.?
The Legacy of Valor campaign featured community veterans from diverse branches and generations of service. The call to action — Freedom. Pass It On. — inspired the community to participate in the events and activities honoring veterans throughout the year.
Who can I contact about the Legacy of Valor campaign?
For more information about this past initiative, contact initiative consultant Linda Gould: firstname.lastname@example.org.
2014 commercial highlighting Legacy of Valor campaign
(total time: 30 seconds)