October 2019 – Present
Indiana University Lilly Family School of Philanthropy Electives
The Indiana University Lilly Family School of Philanthropy is the world’s first school dedicated solely to the study and teaching of philanthropy. Since its inception, it has demonstrated a commitment to training and empowering students and practitioners to innovate and lead to create positive and lasting change in the world. This includes its growing bachelor’s, certificate, and master’s programs offering students a mix of theory and practice.
Strengthening the Impact
ELECTIVESSelect any of the course offerings below to learn more about their curriculum:
● The Future of the Philanthropic Sector: Experiential Learning with The Patterson Foundation
● Beyond the Check: The Patterson Foundation’s Approach to Innovative Philanthropy
Why is The Patterson Foundation collaborating with the Indiana University Lilly Family School of Philanthropy?
Why does The Patterson Foundation support jointly-offered courses at the Indiana University Lilly Family School of Philanthropy?
What is The Future of Work in the Philanthropic Sector: Experiential Learning with The Patterson Foundation?
- What may the philanthropic sector look like in the future?
- What will it take to build sustainable organizations that can tackle systemic problems within our local communities, country, and the world?
- How are innovative partnerships begun and sustained?
- What competencies and qualities will leaders of the future need?
- What ideas, questions, and recommendations do thought-leaders have about the future of the philanthropic sector?
- Why are foundations different from other nonprofits?
What is Beyond the Check: The Patterson Foundation’s Approach to Innovative Philanthropy?
The course spanned six weeks with a different subject focus each week:
● Week 1: Building Connective Tissue
● Week 2: Values-Driven Work
● Week 3: Creating Value Beyond the Check
● Week 4: From-To/Systems Thinking
● Week 5: Your Role as a Community Leader
● Week 6: More Than Money – Strategic Communication
Beginning in week one, the topics built upon each other to offer a brief but holistic view of The Patterson Foundation's approach to philanthropy.