October 2019 – Present
Indiana University Lilly Family School of Philanthropy Electives — The Future of the Philanthropic Sector: Experiential Learning with The Patterson Foundation
Through a collaboration with The Patterson Foundation and Indiana University Lilly Family School of Philanthropy, "The Future of the Philanthropic Sector: Experiential Learning with The Patterson Foundation" provides undergraduate and graduate students attending Indiana University Lilly Family School of Philanthropy a professional growth opportunity using The Patterson Foundation's initiatives. This semester-long course culminates with a weeklong spring study away experience at The Patterson Foundation in Sarasota, FL.
Strengthening the Impact
The course will connect students to The Patterson Foundation, a foundation known for its collaborative philosophy and tenets of change. Students learn innovative philanthropic principles and share their expertise with nonprofits in Charlotte, DeSoto, Manatee, and Sarasota counties.
Why is The Patterson Foundation collaborating with the Indiana University Lilly Family School of Philanthropy?
Why does The Patterson Foundation support a course at the Indiana University Lilly Family School of Philanthropy?
What is The Future of Work in the Philanthropic Sector: Experiential Learning with The Patterson Foundation?
- What may the philanthropic sector look like in the future?
- What will it take to build sustainable organizations tackling systemic problems within our local communities, country, and the world?
- How are innovative partnerships begun and sustained?
- What competencies and qualities will leaders of the future need?
- What ideas, questions, and recommendations do thought leaders have about the future of the philanthropic sector?
- Why are foundations different from other nonprofits?
What topic areas have students learned about in previous offerings of this course?
Philanthropy is a field of possibilities with many different avenues for professional growth. By focusing the course on a group of broad but tangible topic areas drawing on learnings from The Patterson Foundation’s initiatives, students can partake in projects and experiences that accurately represent what work in the field may look like. Previous course offerings have focused on the following concepts:
- Inspiring Philanthropy through the Giving Challenge
- Capacity Building through Nonprofit Thrivability
- High Touch, High Tech through the Suncoast Campaign for Grade-Level Reading
- More Than Money Philanthropy through Digital Access for All
What do students gain from participating in an experiential, hybrid course?
The Patterson Foundation is proud to showcase the Suncoast’s vibrant philanthropic ecosystem.