July 2018 – Present
Aspiring philanthropic leaders have the potential to catalyze innovations to strengthen people, organizations, and communities around the world. While these opportunities are numerous, maximizing them takes leaders who have the willingness, capacity, and foresight to drive long-term change. Through nearly a decade of experience with innovative initiatives spanning the globe, The Patterson Foundation has shaped its approach to philanthropy into a valuable model for a network of future leaders who seek their continued professional evolution while strengthening the impact of their efforts. Learn more about The Patterson Foundation's approach from president and CEO Debra Jacobs.
Strengthening the Impact
Why does The Patterson Foundation offer the Fellows Initiative?
The Patterson Foundation strengthens the efforts of people, organizations, and communities by focusing on issues that address mutual aspirations, foster wide participation, and encourage learning and sharing. The Patterson Foundation believes that creating a network of future philanthropic leaders who have the willingness, capacity, and foresight to incorporate innovative strategies for long-term change is both an opportunity and a responsibility with considerable impact. Furthermore, working with philanthropic leaders versed in leading-edge innovations facilitates The Patterson Foundation’s continued learning and sharing of best practices in philanthropy.
Why is The Patterson Foundation collaborating with the Indiana University Lilly Family School of Philanthropy?
The Lilly Family School of Philanthropy is the first school dedicated solely to the study and teaching of philanthropy. Since its inception, it has demonstrated a commitment to training and empowering students and practitioners to innovate and lead to create positive and lasting change in the world. This includes its growing master’s program offering students a mix of theory and practice.
What does The Patterson Foundation Fellows Initiative offer?
- A one-year experience for talented early career professionals interested in working in community, corporate or private foundations
- A career-building opportunity to learn from The Patterson Foundation while sharing the fellows' expertise and ideas
- Structured engagement with initiatives and operations through a mix of learning and action objectives
- Access to a network of innovative philanthropic leaders
What are the eligibility requirements?
The following three eligibility requirements must all be met:
- Be a graduate of the Master of Arts in Philanthropic Studies degree program from the Indiana University Lilly Family School of Philanthropy (prior to June 1, 2019) and interested in a career in community, corporate or private foundations
- Have legal authorization to work in the United States (i.e., a U.S. citizen, a noncitizen national of the U.S., a lawful permanent resident, or an alien authorized to work, in accordance with USCIS Form I-9)
- Be able to reside in Sarasota, Florida, from June 3, 2019 – May 29, 2020
What assignments and experiences will the fellows receive?
Fellows will be immersed in specific initiatives based on shared interests and The Patterson Foundation's approach to philanthropy. The Patterson Foundation’s initiatives include international, national, state and regional initiatives in education, aging, health, disaster recovery, inspiring philanthropy, social entrepreneurship, and strategic communications. Learn more about The Patterson Foundation’s initiatives.
Where is The Patterson Foundation located? Where will fellows be based?
Will The Patterson Foundation’s Fellows Initiative expand to other academic institutions?
There are no plans to expand the Fellows Initiative to academic institutions beyond the Indiana University Lilly Family School of Philanthropy.
Who can I contact about The Patterson Foundation Fellows Initiative?
If you have additional questions, please contact initiative consultant Laurey Stryker, Ed.D.: LStrykerTPF@gmail.com | 941-302-0407 or Nancy Vafeas: Nvafeas@thepattersonfoundation.org | 941-544-6385