The Patterson Foundation is supporting the Sarasota County School District to develop a user-friendly database that will include information for teachers to select and plan experiences that align with the curriculum.
Because teachers and organizations said too much time is taken to coordinate logistics leaving less time for deepening the experiences, a new database will be developed to make planning cultural experiences for students easier and more efficient.
- The database, called EDExploreSRQ is being developed with extensive teacher and organization input and will be maintained by the Sarasota County School District Curriculum department.
- Users can search by key word, grade level, subject and other variables to find explorations that connect to classroom learning and student development. It will be tested in early 2011 and fully implemented for teacher planning and use for the 2011 school year.
- EDExploreSRQ will be accessible to parents and the general public.
The update provided more learnings for educators to consider as the initiative continues its journey, including:
- The Sarasota County School District is a leader in employing classroom-based instructional technologies. The Active Board environment, AngelWeb, and Safari Live tools offer cost-effective opportunities to integrate community and other experiences that could help students explore careers and learn.
- Summer is an opportunity to reinforce connections when students have more time and parents are looking for positive, affordable activities.
- We learned that organizations and schools agree that involving families in the experiences was very important.
- Donors are critical to creating sustainable programs. Today, they provide significant support to the cultural organizations. The Education Foundation of Sarasota County administers teacher mini-grants, which often fund connections.
The Patterson Foundation is committed to learning and linking with others. We recognize other communities, foundations and organizations are on a similar journey.
Learn about these and other concepts used in TPF's approach to philanthropy.
SHARE THIS POST: