Suncoast Nursing Action Coalition
Strengthening the Impact
FAQs Click on frequently asked questions below to learn more about this initiative...
Why does The Patterson Foundation support this initiative?
How is the Suncoast Nursing Action Coalition related to the Campaign for Action and the Florida Action Coalition?
Formed in 2011, the Florida Action Coalition is one of more than 50 action coalitions developed to move the Institute of Medicine’s recommendations forward at state and local levels.
How did the Suncoast Nursing Action Coalition start?
- Increase proportion of nurses with a baccalaureate degree to 80% by 2020
- Double the number of nurses with a doctorate by 2020
- Implement nurse residency programs
- Ensure that nurses engage in lifelong learning
With participation on the Florida Action Coalition Education Action Team, local representatives took ownership of implementing these recommendations in the Sarasota, Manatee, Charlotte and DeSoto counties.
SNAC was formed to be the regional coalition to develop a pilot project allowing other regions of the state a successful and proven pathway to achieve a more educated nursing workforce and improve healthcare outcomes. The Community Foundation of Sarasota County works with donors interested in supporting SNAC.
Who are the primary participants in the Coalition?
What is the Bachelor of Science in Nursing rate in our region?
What are the desired outcomes of the Coalition’s work?
- 80% of nurses with a BSN or higher degrees
- Eliminate faculty shortage with more doctorally prepared nurses teaching
- Greater capacity in area nursing schools to train nursing BSNs, MSNs, and PhDs
- Academic and healthcare providers further enhancing working relationships for community-wide change
- Scholarships/loans are available and strategically allocated — since financial challenges are a significant barrier for academic progression for some
- Academic institutions, healthcare employers, and community are learning and sharing and engaged to use largely available resources to change the system
What are the Coalition’s accomplishments so far?
- Engagement of hospitals and nursing schools
- Academic institutions in the area are modifying the programs and expanding capacity for more students
- Creation of a SNAC scholarship fund and awarding scholarships for BSNs, MSNs, and doctoral students
- Creation and funding of a Nursing Education Navigator role in the community to advise and mentor potential students
- The Nursing Education Navigator is increasing the number of students accepted by nursing programs
- Funders are supporting SNAC
- The number and percentage of BSNs in the area is demonstrably increasing
What does the Coalition aspire to achieve?
- Improved access to high-quality care
- Improved healthcare system with decreased mortality
- Broad awareness of the importance of nursing to the area’s future of healthcare
- Nurses in important and diverse roles
- System of care that is self-adjusting to address needed changes over time
- Contribute to changes made to Florida policy