October 2013 – Present
Margin & Mission Ignition
For-profit companies and nonprofit organizations may have different goals, but they share a common need to develop financial models that help their organizations thrive. Through Margin & Mission Ignition, nonprofits gain access to expert guidance so they can explore new ways to build thriving organizations with diverse revenue sources that sustain and extend their capacity to do good in the community. Participating nonprofit organizations are located in Florida’s Sarasota, Manatee, Charlotte, and DeSoto counties.
Strengthening the Impact
Why does The Patterson Foundation support this initiative?
Why is this initiative called Margin & Mission Ignition?
How do nonprofit organizations get involved in Margin & Mission Ignition?
- Nonprofits that attend the labs, meet all participation criteria, and demonstrate alignment of leadership, willingness, readiness, capacity, and culture are invited to apply for the 30-month earned income business planning and implementation process.
- Nonprofits selected will be coached to create and implement viable earned-income plans.
- Participating nonprofits will present business plans to investors, donors, and funders in a "fast-pitch" presentation designed to attract needed startup/growth capital.
- Participating nonprofits will be mentored as they implement earned-income plans.
- Participating nonprofits will learn and share from each other at key times.
- Consultants will track and monitor progress for a year following the implementation of the earned-income plans.
Is there a fee to participate?
Which nonprofit organizations are part of Margin & Mission Ignition?
Five nonprofits from Manatee, Sarasota, and Charlotte counties began the 30-month process in 2018 to develop and implement business plans in order to build capacity, boost revenue, and strengthen their impact in the region:
The following organizations began the 30-month earned-income journey in 2017:
Humane Society of Manatee County
Peace River Wildlife Center
Prospect Riding Center
Satchel’s Last Resort
The following organizations participated in earned-income planning and implementation in 2016 and are continuing along the 30-month journey:
Charlotte Players, Inc.
Florida Maritime Museum
Gulf Coast Heritage Association (Historic Spanish Point)
The Literacy Council of Sarasota
The Manatee Players, Inc.
The following organizations participated in earned-income planning and implementation in 2015, then opted to complete a bonus discovery in early 2016 — which was a gift from The Patterson Foundation — and have chosen to complete a second earned-income project this year:
Charlotte County Habitat for Humanity
Pines of Sarasota
The following organizations participated in earned-income planning and implementation in 2015 and are continuing along the 30-month journey: