The Patterson Foundation team was out in full force Memorial Day weekend to pay tribute to our nation's fallen heroes and share about creating a legacy in their honor.
The following is an at-a-glance recap of our region's Memorial Day activities.
- Jacobites and First Brass Memorial Day Concert - Jacobites Pipe and Drum Band and The First Brass held their 7th annual Memorial Day Concert at Church of the Palms in Sarasota on May 26. The concert, which is part of the Legacy of Valor campaign, featured 35 musicians and a narrated presentation. Three hundred attendees were treated to the musical stylings of Sharon Scott, a powerhouse vocalist whose rendition of "Battle Hymn of the Republic" had attendees on their feet. The concert benefited Cell Phones for Soldiers, a national nonprofit dedicated to connecting overseas servicemen and women with their families.
- Sarasota National Cemetery Memorial Day Ceremony - Sarasota National Cemetery hosted its annual Memorial Day ceremony, which featured the Alpha Company of the Vietnam Brotherhood in uniform who presented rememberance wreaths as well as VFW Post 10141, which provided the color guard. The Sarasota Military Academy musicians and Sarasota High School ROTC volunteered their talents for the ceremony.
- Lakewood Ranch Memorial Day Parade - Several hundred families gathered on Main Stree in Lakewood Ranch to remember fallen veterans. Volunteers passed out poppies and roses while others sat in silent reflection. There was great interest in sharing about Patriot Plaza with this area of our community.
- Venice Memorial Day Parade - More than 500 Venice residents and visitors gathered to honor and remember veterans at the Venice Memorial Day Parade. During the parade, all branches of service were recognized through anthems played by the Suncoast Wind Ensemble. World War II was represented by about a dozen veterans who were proudly wearing their uniforms. Keynote speaker Randy Smith, who served in Vietname, touched many with his reflections about those who served.
- Sarasota Memorial Day Parade - This year's parade theme was "A Nation Forever Grateful" and the ceremony theme was "Never Forget." John Rosentrater, Director of Sarasota National Cemetery, was the guest speaker for the Memorial Day ceremony. Dignitaries, including Congressman Vern Buchanan; Shannon Snyder, Mayor of Sarasota and County Commissioner Carolyn Mason each read proclamations. Veterans groups represented different branches and eras of the military. The Military Officers Association of Sarasota handed out boxes for care packages to send to depolyed service members.
Learn about these and other concepts used in TPF's approach to philanthropy.
SHARE THIS POST: